Fees & Financial Aid


Students enrolled in professional degree programs at the University of California are required to remit professional degree supplemental tuition. At the School of Public Health, MPH and DrPH students are currently assessed professional degree supplemental tuition each semester. Please note that all fees are subject to change. See UC Berkeley's fee schedule.

In addition to the general cost of attendance, students are required to own or have access to a personal computer at home. Students may request a loan amount from the Financial Aid Office to cover this requirement.

Graduate Fellowships and Scholarships

Each academic year, a limited number of merit and need-based fellowships and scholarships are awarded to students by Berkeley's Graduate Division and the School of Public Health.

Merit-based scholarships and fellowships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence. For most merit-based awards, a minimum grade point average of 3.5 (on a 4 point scale) is required in all prior college-level academic coursework. Merit-based awards generally are given out by nomination only, so there is no specific application process for these awards beyond completing the FAFSA (see below) and the Fellowships portion of the UC Berkeley Application. To be considered for merit-based and/or need-based awards, indicate your interest in financial support on the SOPHAS application, complete the UC Berkeley application for admission and fellowships, and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using UC Berkeley School Code 001312.

Financial Assistance

Graduate students may apply for need-based loans and work-study through the Financial Aid Office. The programs are based on demonstrated financial need and require a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Low-income students with dependent children and high need will be considered for a need-based parent grant award, as funding permits. Questions about Financial Aid programs may be directed to Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall. Or, consult the Financial Aid website for more information. Only U.S. citizens and eligible noncitizens (those holding permanent resident cards) may apply for funds administered by the Financial Aid Office.

Students are also encouraged to independently seek funding from external sources. A number of scholarship search resources are available on the Web, including:

As a member of the Association for Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH), our graduate students have access to funding resources such as "Tips and Tricks to Obtaining Scholarships" and external sources that are based on specific qualifying criteria (e.g., race, gender, state of residency, etc.).  Don't let these opportunities go to waste!

Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Teaching & Resource Center

The GSI Teaching and Resource Center provides pedagogical support and guidance for new and continuing GSIs. Center services include fall and spring teaching conferences, workshops on teaching, the GSI Online Course on Professional Standards and Ethics, grants and awards for GSIs and faculty, confidential consultations, the Language Proficiency Program for international GSIs, and the Teaching Guide for GSIs. This office is located at:

301 Sproul Hall #5900
Berkeley, CA 94720-5900
Phone: (510) 642-4456
Email: gsi@berkeley.edu

Financial Assistance for International Students

Financial Aid awards from Berkeley International Office consist of individual grants applied directly to tuition and fees via the UC Berkeley student records system. Award amounts vary depending on the number of applicants and levels of need per semester. Grants do not need to be repaid.

Students who are married and/or have children living with them in the Bay Area may also apply for the Supplemental Family Grant. A Family Grant can be applied directly to tuition and fees or can be disbursed in the form of a taxable stipend (taxed at 14% unless exempt by tax treaty). Award amounts vary depending on the number of applicants and levels of need. Family Grants do not need to be repaid. See a complete list of financial aid options.

Student Family Assistance

The University of California offers a variety of services and resources for student families. Learn more about campus resources that aid student families in the search for affordable housing, child care, health insurance, and more.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

Where can I find information about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program?

Please see Loan Forgiveness for Public Service Employees (PDF).